Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Today's IN thing: Sharing Personal Facts

Recently it became a popular topic in text messages and Facebook.  Exchange of posts/messages went from one account to another - 20 Facts About Me, 10/15 Facts About My Crush/My Love, etc.

I haven't really traced how it started and whose idea gave birth to this sharing of personal facts.  My Google search led me to a number of posts and images about this not-so-new subject.  I came across this thing when my daughter received a so-called nomination through a text message on 10 Facts About My Crush/Love from her friend.  She was tagged to share her own personal facts.  She did and sent it to chosen friends via SMS, giving OBVIOUS descriptions of her recent crush in school.  When another FB friend challenged her with '15 facts about my crush', she took it differently as she posted on October 6, 2014.


Replying is not compulsory.  Those who received her message simply followed what she followed from her textmate - (1) answer/make list, (2) nominate/tag those he/she wants to respond and (3) make sure to send it to those nominated/tagged .  It so happened one of her friends responded to her text message by posting his answer in his Facebook account.  Then the process became viral-like among her FB friends, just the way a chain letter works.

I thought of starting a similar thing among my FB friends who are mothers.  It could be a way of breaking the boredom of using FB the usual way and know more about them.  So here's my version with a lot of 'smiley' images from different sites:
 
Sharing personal facts allows us to know our friends (and even friends of friends) better.  Sometimes, we discover things which we didn't know before.  It would be fun tracking the flow of facts-sharing in Facebook. This chain gives way to interaction via social media, to follow posts and reconnect with old time friends.  Some enjoyed it for sure, while others felt otherwise.  

It's safer then to take precautions not to share too much information about our selves.  If we want privacy in our lives, then either we limit what we share in or simply ignore/cut off the chain at our point by not responding to this type of sharing.  To keep private things private takes a personal decision, and not any chain of sharing facts will dictate it.  There are no rules in this sharing and no standards to follow.  Just answer from your heart and perhaps, just enjoy the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

People who follow my blog