Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Blogfest I will always remember

Tagged as "Mindanao's Funnest", SOCCSKSARGEN Bloggers  gathered for a very big event of the year, the BLOGFEST SOCCSKSARGEN 2010, or simply BlogFest 2010.
Around 7:15 in the morning of December 11, 2010, I went to East Asia Royale Hotel .   With the help of a courteous staff, I found the venue and saw a number of people preparing kits and getting ready with their computers.  Oh, I was the early bird!  I paid my registration fee to Alexis Chua and found a comfortable seat inside the Grand Royale Ballroom.
  


7:20 AM marked the start of my waiting time.  I wrote some notes in the notebook I brought, and tried to think what this event would be like.  After an hour of waiting, I got my mini kit, and before I knew it, the venue was full of people up to the back part.  Few minutes more, and life came among the Sox Bloggers  and other participants when Joana Grace Lapore and Jay Dayupay (ABS-CBN News Anchor for TV Parol Socsksargen) started off the program for BlogFest SOCCSKSARGEN 2010.

Jay went around to interview delegates, until he reached our table.  I turned around to avoid the camera, as he stepped to the front of our table, but he stepped back and I felt his hand on my shoulder.  He asked me of the reason of my being there.  I told the group that I don't have any blog, but I used to write in college, together with my dear friend, Joana.  I attended the event to know what blogging is really all about and to meet more friends.
(Thanks to an FB member for sharing this photo)
Speakers/bloggers came to General Santos City to share their knowledge and experiences in blogging.  It was amazing to hear from eleven speakers, including the beautiful  lady from Sarangani Province, Ms. Michelle Lopez-Solon of Go Sarangani Travel, Inc.
  

From the Office of the President came Mr. Jay Jaboneta, the New Media Manager.  He showed to us how we can contribute to nation-building with today's technology.  He also told us of the process in receiving and addressing of people's concerns each day at Pres. Noy's office through the use of the internet.

The Hon. Pedro B. Acharon, Jr. dropped by in the evening to give his keynote speech to us. His appreciation of the bloggers' efforts to promote Mindanao and to change the negative image of our region in the eyes of those who are outside Mindanao shows his support to the group.

Trivia questions were given to give away some items.  I wanted the T-shirt, but younger ones closer to the mini stage were the first to give the answers and get the prizes.  I made sure I could buy a shirt for remembrance of the bloggers' event which I attended for the first time, and to help a new-found friend, Rosilie Lim of Kreativ Boutique and contribute to their cause.
 
 

Sir Orman Manansala of   Ganda Ever So Much blog, acknowledged his teammates behind the successful BlogFest.  He was so funny and full of life like Sir Avel, though the presentations continued from morning till night with working breaks and working lunch.
Speaking of lunch, I was impressed and amazed with the audio-visual presentation (hologram) made by the Sagittarius Mines, Inc. Seated at the middle of the venue, I was not able to watch it being played at the back of the ballroom while we were eating.  Good thing they did a replay when the delegates and the BlogFest team began to move out, and I had glimpse of it before I left the hotel.
 
And, oh! Let me tell you of our delicious food during the day.  Suman with a slice of mango and sikwate (hot chocolate) for morning snack, rice with a big slice of chicken and vegetables at the side and caramel flan, served after the soup, for lunch, and chicken arroz caldo with iced tea for afternoon snack.  Wow!  But focused as I was in listening to the speakers and taking some notes, taking pictures of our food items got off my mind, except for the first one served:
 
Just before the group went out to go to Robinson's before 8:00 PM for the Photo Safari, I joined the picture taking at the tarpaulin.  People were hurrying because it was getting late, but then I got the privilege to have a pose with Sir Avel Manansala, the "Mr. Bariles" of  GenSan News Online Mag,  together with a blogger, Nestor Cabalquinto.
I feel so grateful Mindanao Bloggers had that great idea to come up with a learning avenue for the new media enthusiasts, along with its other sponsors, Smart Communications, Dolores Hotels and Resorts, and Gaisano Mall of GenSanThere was so much fun and so much knowledge imparted to us by the speakers from the different islands of our country.  I had noted many websites to visit to explore and learn other things on making blogs.  I learned the tips on blogging, how to maximize it for leisure and making money, how blogs can help in nation building, and internet security, to name a few.

After years of letting my life go around a home-office routine, the  BlogFest SOCCSKSARGEN 2010  was such a worthwhile experience. It became a way to meet and know some bloggers who reflect the passion to write and influence.  It was a vital agent that will help bring out the writer in me.  It made me realize that bloggers can be empowered by modern technology and new media to create awareness and to entice people to get involved and reach out.  Bloggers can work together to let people outside our region and our country see how beautiful Mindanao is.

I am taking my time to learn more by giving new things, like blogging, a good try - the effect of BlogFest 2010.

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! Stumbled upon this while updating the Sox Bloggers member feeds at http://soxbloggers.com/member/ .

    Please submit the link to this post as a comment to http://soxbloggers.com/contests/blogfest-soccsksargen-blog-writing-contest/

    See you around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alexis, for the comment. I recently went over my blog post. I submitted it (as you suggested) to share my experience. Good bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice post po.. ang saya ng blogfest ano? happy blogging:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, nardxz...

    Yah, super saya ng blogfest, especially nandoon si Sir Avel and Sir Orman.

    Please wait until I follow your blogs. I am aiming to read and follow Mindanaoans' blogs this Christmas break. I want to learn more from other bloggers, including you, kasi hindi ako techie. I am still learning the features in blogger.com and twitter.com

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow thanks po maam.. padayon lang kita!

    ReplyDelete
  6. am glad that you've started blogging, sheila... keep the spirit alive! blog on...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot for the encouragement, Sir Orman. I am still learning, actually, and I have a lot to learn pa.
    You are one of the reasons the Blogfest 2010 became memorable for me. It was really fun! Hope to join another one next time.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a pleasure meeting you at the Blogfest. I am glad you pursued your dream to be a blogger because you write so well.

    Thanks so much for sharing your gift to us.

    Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your words mean another encouragement for beginners like me, Sir Avel. Being with the bloggers last Dec. 11, 2010 was not just a privilege, but a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

    Thanks to you and your team. Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete

People who follow my blog